How to Unblock Drippers in a Fertigation System
How Nova PeKacid® can be used to open blocked drippers in a fertigation system.
Clean drippers are necessary to obtain maximum yield and optimum water use efficiency. Throughout the growing season, drippers and irrigation lines may become blocked or clogged.
ICL’s Nova PeKacid acidity neutralises and dissolve bicarbonates, and thus helps avoid the problem of scaling and blocking of pipes and drippers in the sensitive drip irrigation systems. This has many benefits, like longer lifespan of irrigation systems, uniform and efficient distribution of irrigation water and fertilisers, less work and less hazardous liquid acids.
Nova PeKacid can be used to open blocked drippers by following the instructions below:
- Start by applying Nova PeKacid for 15 minutes throughout the irrigation system.
- Calculate the irrigation flow rate which passes in 15 minutes.
- Apply 5 kg of Nova PeKacid for every cubic meter of water.
If the irrigation flow rate is 6 m3 per hour, then in 15 minutes the irrigation flow would be 1.5 m3.
If 5 kg of Nova PeKacid needs to be added for every 1 m3, then for 1.5 m3 you will need 7.5 kg of Nova PeKacid:
5 kg per m3 × 1.5 m3 = 7.5 kg
- Start the irrigation system and make sure that the water reached all the drippers.
- By knowing the flow rate of your irrigation system which passes in 15 minutes, apply the right amount of Nova PeKacid according to the above calculations.
- After applying Nova PeKacid make sure to rinse the system with water, for another 30-45 minutes.
In severe situations, you can open the end stoppers of the main irrigation pipes to rinse these as well.
- For annual crops, please avoid cleaning during the crop cycle. Blocked drippers should be dealt with before installing the crop or after its harvest.
- For perennial crops (e.g., orchards, and vineyards) you can clean blocked drippers all year round.