Potassium (K) is one of the three essential plant macronutrients, along with nitrogen and phosphorus, that plants need to thrive. Choosing and using potassium-based fertilizers guarantees the availability of potassium in the soil, ready for plants to take up the relatively large amounts of the nutrient they require.
Potassium increases crop yields and improves the quality of agricultural produce while also enhancing the ability of plants to resist diseases, insect attacks, cold and drought stresses, and other adverse conditions. By helping develop strong and healthy root systems, potassium increases the efficiency of the uptake and use of nitrogen and other nutrients.
Potassium and Animal Nutrition
And it is not just plants that benefit. Potassium improves the nutritional quality of products destined for animal nutrition, such as grassland and forage crops, meaning potassium is significant in livestock nutrition.
Many Roles of Potassium in Plants
The importance of potassium stems from its multiple roles in plants:
- Potassium is involved in the activation of more than sixty enzymatic systems in plant cells and in the synthesis of proteins, vitamins, starch, and cellulose which ensure normal plant metabolism, plant growth, and the formation of strong tissues.
- Potassium helps photosynthesis, the process through which the sugars and energy that the plant needs for its development are formed and converted.
- Potassium controls the opening and closing of the leaf stomata, regulating the water status in the plant.
- It is essential in starch formation and the production and translocation of sugars. Potassium is, therefore, of particular value in carbohydrate-rich crops such as sugarcane, potato, and sugar beet.
- The production of starch and sugar in legumes boosted by potassium benefits the symbiotic bacteria living on the roots and thus improves nitrogen fixation.
- Potassium not only increases yields but also enhances crop quality. It improves the nutritional value of grains, tubers, and fruits by increasing the contents of protein and oil in seeds, starch in tubers and seeds, and vitamin C and sugar in fruits.
- With an adequate supply of potassium, cereals produce plump grains and strong stalks, making them resistant to lodging.
- Potassium improves the flavor and color of fruits and increases the size of tubers and fruits. In addition, it increases the resistance to various injuries during storage and transportation, thus extending shelf life.
Symptoms of Potassium Deficiency
Plants deficient in potassium suffer in several ways. Potassium-deficient plants are prone to ‘lodge’ or bend over at ground level, which makes them difficult to harvest. Potassium deficiency also makes plants more susceptible to disease.
Visually, the older leaves appear to have burned edges (scorching), and since potassium is mobile in the plant, the bottom and older leaves show potassium deficiency symptoms first.
1 Brand found
15 Products found
Agroblen Total 17-9-13 (12-14M) offers balanced precision nutrition for up to 12-14 months. Coated with ICLs patented Resin Release Technology, Agroblen Total 17-9-13 supplies essential NPK with an added boost of 6% sulfur.
Agroblen Total 18-11-11 (3-4M) with micros offers dependable precision nutrition for up to 3-4 months. Coated with ICLs patented Resin Release Technology, it provides a balanced supply of essential NPK with an added boost of 6% sulfur and a full micronutrient package.
A controlled-release fertilizer that provides a balanced supply of NPK plus S to deliver precision crop nutrition for up to six months using ICL Growing Solutions’ Agrocote® coating technology.
Agroblen Total High PK 8-21-21 (5-6M) with 9.7% sulfur is designed to boost establishment and fruiting. The high PK:N ratio supplies essential nutrients while providing flexibility for nitrogen sources. With every single granule coated with ICLs patented Resin Release Technology, it offers dependable precision nutrition for up to 6 months.
A resin-coated SOP (potassium sulfate) fertilizer that provides up to 2 months of precision nutrition.
Quick-dissolving fertigation product that boosts fruit set, fruit quality and stalk strength with an elevated ratio of potassium plus calcium and magnesium
Agrolution pHLow High K 15-11-31 Plus Mg is a water-soluble fertilizer that provides increased potassium and an extra boost of magnesium for improved fruit quality.
Agrolution pHLow High K Plus Ca fertigation and pH management solution provides an elevated potassium-to-nitrogen ratio, a base level of all micronutrients, plus an extra boost of calcium. The water-soluble fertilizer can be used to improve fruit quality or to supplement crop needs on demand while also keeping irrigation systems clean.
A water-soluble fertilizer with one-to-one ratio of nitrogen and potassium and 61.5% of nitrogen present as nitrates.
A high PK fertigation solution with micronutrients, especially designed for early season application. Solve nutrient and water quality challenges with just one product.
Water-soluble fertilizer with increased availability of phosphorous and potassium as well as micronutrients that addresses high pH in water and soil
Nova N-K efficiently supplies nitrogen nitrate and potassium and can be used on all soil types and crops.
Nova PeKacid is a water-soluble, chloride-free, low-sodium PK fertilizer for open-field and soilless crops.
Nova SOP contains high levels of potassium and sulphur, making it the ideal fertilizer for crops needing these nutrients.
0 Resources found