Increasing Turfgrass Wear Tolerance
Management strategies to improve turfgrass wear tolerance, improving the appearance, and reducing the susceptibility to wear damage and disease.
Why Wear Tolerance is Important:
- Turf that receives high traffic pressure will be susceptible to wear damage and an increased risk of disease.
- Wear damage causes aesthetic damage as well as a poor-quality playing surface.
- Where turf becomes worn and bare patches occur, this provides opportunities for weed invasion.
- When the turf cover is reduced this also reduces the stability of the soil, which can then lead onto more problems.
- Turf that receives high traffic pressure will be susceptible to wear damage.
- Harden turf and avoid soft, lush growth.
- Ensure good nutrition for healthy turf growth to increase wear tolerance.
- Ensure good nutrition to aid recovery from wear.
- Reduce surface moisture in wet conditions.
- Use wear-tolerant grass cultivars.
- Limit traffic where possible and alternate areas of use.